Meet the orthodontist
Dr. Elena Black is a dentist with advanced specialty training in Orthodontics.
She obtained her Certificate for Advanced Graduate Studies in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics from the Goldman School of Dental Medicine at Boston University under the mentorship of world-renowned orthodontists.
A native of Romania, Dr. Black has studied on 3 continents and brings 14 years of professional dental training to serve the Lynchburg community.
A smile is the shortest distance between two people.
— Victor Borge
Education & Experience
- Certificate for Advanced Graduate Studies (C.A.G.S.) in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics – Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Boston University, Boston
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Oral Biology – Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Boston University, Boston
- Monbusho Scholarship – School of Dental Medicine, Niigata University, Niigata, Japan
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) – School of Dental Medicine, Grigore T. Popa University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Iasi, Romania
- Baccalaureate in Mathematics and Physics – “Ferdinand I” National College in Bacau, Romania
In 2009, Dr. Black and her family moved to Virginia where Dr. Black practiced Orthodontics and continued to pursue her research interests, with support from National Institutes of Health (NIH), and teach at the VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University ) Dental School Philips Institute, in Richmond.
Dr. Black moved to Lynchburg in 2011. She is dedicated to providing exceptional orthodontic care for adults,
Dr. Black is a Premier Invisalign® Provider and has extensive experience in the use of Invisalign®, as well as Temporary Anchorage Devices (TADs), Periodontally-Accelerated Osteogenic Orthodontics (PAOO) and surgically-enhanced orthodontic treatment.
Dr. Black is eligible for the Board of Orthodontics Clinical Examination which represents the final step in achieving Board Certification and Diplomate status within the American Board of Orthodontics. She has also volunteered to participate as a provider for ‘Smiles Change Lives,’ an organization that provides access to life-changing Orthodontic treatment for children of low-income families.
During her Ph.D. studies in Boston, Dr. Black met her husband Sam who practices Endodontics in Lynchburg. They have two children together, Nicholas and Miriam.
- Active member of the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) and its local components, The Southern Association of Orthodontists (SAO), and Virginia Association of Orthodontists (VAO)
- Active member of the American Dental Association (ADA) and its local components, Virginia Dental Association (VDA), and Piedmont Dental Society (PDS)
- Active member of the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
- Fellow of the World Federation of Orthodontists (WFO)
- Active member of the Sigma Xi-The Scientific Research Society
- Active member of the Romanian Association for Excellence in Orthodontics (AREO)
Dr. Black has served for 4 years as an officer of the Lynchburg Dental Society and is a past president of this association.
Outside the office
Dr. Black enjoys spending time with her two young children and with her husband. When she gets the chance, she also enjoys hiking, playing tennis, ice-skating and travel.
I love: Reading
My favorite movie: The Sound of Music
My most favorite place on earth: Venice, Italy
My biggest fault: I talk too fast but I can slow down for Siri and my patients
Favorite book I read last year: Grace Green’s Beach Rental
I can’t live
I never: Say never!
I always: Kiss my children at night
Favorite thing about Virginia: Its people and its mountains